Tuesday, March 16, 2010

For the love of birds



The dinning area is the most important part of the home. You want it to be inviting and calm. This dinning area is a clean slate. You will want to select a table and chairs that you like and go from there to build your room. I personally also like to have a side board in the dinning area so that you can store extra dish ware and place extra food and wine nearby. I love the chair rails in this room because they will protect the wall from the chairs and also provide the space some sophistication. I would paint the chair rails teal with white moulding and trim and leave the upper wall white or paint it a lighter blue. There are some cool wall papers you could use as well. I like the aspen tree wall paper at the bottom of the page.

A themed Dinning area is always fun. I was inspired by the peacock dish ware I saw at anthropologie (below). to keep it from looking hoaky I am sticking to a simple color palate of white, black and teal.


A white vase with feathers for a center peice
Teal plates as chargers
Simple blue stem ware and craf
On your side board you can decorate apothecary jars filled with things that remind you of nature. Live plants, eggs etc.
Or use porcelin bird sculptures or dishware with birds on them
Here are the plates that inspired the whole thing



If you want to go all out do your walls with wall paper- My idea is to do teal chair rails with white trim and put wall paper on the top half of the wall. One thing I like about this wall paper is that is is light it wont make the room dark. I like wall paper because it ties in your theme and also serves as art. you wont need any pictures in the room which will help to keep it calm and uncluttered. You can break up the design with a mirror. Which will also reflect light back into the room. As in the dinning room above the windows also bring light into the dinning room. I hate blinds so I would opt for teal curtains
The wallpaper and Bird dish ware is all available at Anthropologie, The wine decanter and stem ware is available at Ikea.

No comments:

Post a Comment